RE: [Xen-devel] trigger an interrupt in HVM

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] trigger an interrupt in HVM
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:24:22 +1000
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:24:46 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> There is no such hypercall. In PV guests we can do any hypercall and
the
> evtchn_upcall_pending will be picked up. This isn't the case for an
HVM
> guest -- the IRQ is only asserted if an event is set pending by the
> hypervisor itself.
>
> If you must be able to trigger event delivery via the HVM IRQ
mechanism
> from
> within your HVM guest then I suggest you allocate an IPI event channel
and
> do a notify hypercall on that. That will have the side effect of
> triggering
> an interrupt and 'flushing through' all other pending events.

As an alternative, could I do an alloc_unbound (DOMID_SELF, DOMID_SELF)
and then bind_interdomain to it?

As another alternative, I have previously been using the asm 'int x'
instructions to call isr's... that could work too although of course
without the source code to windows it's hard to tell exactly what the
implications of that might be :)

James