RE: [Xen-devel] using a different MAC in netfront than theonegiven by ne

To: "David Edmondson" <dme@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] using a different MAC in netfront than theonegiven by netback
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 22:46:39 +1000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 05:47:03 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > Windows NLB isn't going to work with the GPLPV drivers on a Solaris
Dom0
> > then,
>
> With any software that uses a MAC address other than that assigned,
> irrespective of the drivers, in fact.
>
> I recall that the RTL8139 code in qemu-dm also filters, but perhaps
> that gets disabled if the guest sets promiscuous mode.
>
> Does the driver in question (your GPLPV driver in this case) get
> notified when Windows wants to use an extra unicast address? Perhaps
> it just pushes the device into promiscuous mode?

What actually happens is that Windows sets a registry entry when NLB is
enabled and my driver uses that to set the MAC address to something
other than what Dom0 says it should be. Windows then reads the MAC
address to see if I noticed the registry entry, and if I didn't it
complains and refuses to enable NLB on that interface saying that it
doesn't support a change of MAC address.

James