[Xen-devel] Xen 3.2.1 - Win 2003/2008 Server 64-bit guests: cygwin bash

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.2.1 - Win 2003/2008 Server 64-bit guests: cygwin bash builtin "test" crashes
From: "Stephen Quintero" <stephen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:05:48 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:12:37 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi -

I have built a number of Windows based appliances under Xen 3.2.1.  Each was
created on an AMD based machine and includes a clean install of a Windows OS
and cygwin.  Each worked fine.

I then rsync'd the images to three different Xeon based machines, each running
an identical version of Xen.  On these machines, under the 64-bit OS's, the
cygwin bash builtin test ("[") crashes.  It works fine on the 32-bit OS's.

To verify, I did clean installs of the 64-bit OS's, and cygwin, as guests on
one of the Xeon boxes.  The cygwin post install scripts fail because of the
bash builtin test failure.

This issue has been reported one other time on the cygwin lists, also by a user
running a 64-bit Windows OS under Xen.  There is no report of this problem by
users running 64-bit Windows directly on the hardware.

Tested OS's:

Windows Server 2003 Standard 32-bit Edition
Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 x64 Edition
Windows Server 2008 Standard 32-bit Edition
Windows Server 2008 Standard 64-bit Edition

CPU's:

#1      Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2216 HE
#2      Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5320 @ 1.86GHz
#3      Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5355 @ 2.66GHz
#4      Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz

The problem is dependent on the 64-bit OS / hardware combination.  I suspect
the problem derives from the way Xen virtualizes the 64-bit Xeons for HVM
guests.  Exactly how I cannot say (and this could wrong).

Any comment would be welcome.

Thank you,

Stephen