RE: [Xen-devel] Mini-OS and Xen!

To: Daniel Stodden <stodden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Mini-OS and Xen!
From: "Jayaraman, Bhaskar" <Bhaskar.Jayaraman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:24:14 +0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Xen Developers <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 00:24:47 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ok so what you're saying is that if the hypervisor size ever bloats up to 64MB
then it'll show up in the size used up by the VM. But since the hypervisor in
our case is still under .5MB in size it will fit in well within the 32 MB space
reserved for Mini-OS? Although it is addressed by virtual addresses which are
beyond the 32 MB range.

Now if the virtual address space of the VM is used up to reserve the GDT pages
then I would assume that the actual available number of page frames will be
less than 32MB/4KB for the VM? To be precise 32MB/4KB - .5MB(approx Xen)/4KB?
Also, since GDT pages 15 and 16 are used up by the hypervisor, does it mean Xen
will have one Xen kernel segment for each of the VMs that is spawned? What will
be those segments per VM e.g. kernel stack, data, code?
If so what can be the theoretical maximum number of VMs that we can spawn with
the 2 GDT pages available to Xen? i.e. 1024 entries that are 8 bytes long.

Regards,
Bhaskar.