Re: [Xen-devel] virtualized boot loader

To: firewatcher <firewatcher@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] virtualized boot loader
From: Sandesh <sandesh.ahiremath@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 01:02:01 +0530
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:20:48 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 22:30 +0800, firewatcher wrote:

> Why not implement a boot loader which is itself a VMM? That is, the
> boot loader can fulfil its traditional function, as to
> select to load an OS separately, but also, it can function as a VMM,
> which can load two or more OSes as guest OSes simultaneously.
The concept of bootloader is to provide a control for selecting and
usually the OS.

In case of machine installed xen hypervisor (VMM), the first thing that
the bootloader loads is the hypervisor itself.This in turn will start
the linux OS which is nothing but a privileged domain called dom0.

So according to me i dont think it makes any practical sense to
incorporate bootloader with VMM functionality. Moreover you cannot bring
up a domain without the hypervisor being loaded in the first place, it
completely overrides the xen architecture.

> I have started a project with the name vGRUB, to enhance GRUB with the
> virtualization functions of XEN. The aim of the project is to
> simplify the hierachy of software. That is, vGRUB is the firmware that
> between bios and OSes.

As i do not get the complete perspective of your idea, all i can do is
suggest you to investigate xen before you actually commit to this
project.

Regards,
  Sandesh
\m/   \m/

contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the
any attachments.

check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company
email.

www.wipro.com