Re: [Xen-devel] [patch]Make xend to take care of dead qemu-dm process

shawn writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [patch]Make xend to take care of dead qemu-dm
process"):
> I have some question now.
> 1.For each hvm guest there will be a separate qemu-dm process created,so
> we need to track multi opened named pipes.If use blocked read,does that
> mean I have to fork a new child in xend for each hvm guest when it was
> created?
>
> 2.If I have to fork childs in xend, Could I kill the corresponding
> domain in this child process directly?

I did most of the work for detecting failures of qemu-dm in what became
changeset 17843:6f189de0f73d.  That appears to work reasonably well.

It doesn't automatically destroy the domain when qemu-dm dies, because
in my tests this, when combined with on_crash=restart, caused very
rapid looping if qemu-dm failed to start up.

Before we make qemu-dm failures automatically kill the domain, we
should have some kind of detection for early domain failures with
on_crash=restart.  General domain boot failures will cause undesirable
rapid looping too, so that would be a general improvement.

Depending how intrusive such a change would ends up being it might be
better to postpone it to 3.4, as we're currently in feature freeze.

Ian.