[Xen-devel] IO caching on xen?

To: xen-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] IO caching on xen?
From: "marian klein" <klein.marian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:22:05 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 04:22:27 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to :to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :content-disposition; bh=1pbkcdP76Z/0EVED8Paj5VozxLByMnGcx5UE7JyuPN4=; b=LrcNSZ5XHM8tyvugq6/TZGmUhTVDvfSh0HpTb+uNkQc014XAxYme+UYruUilfvWl3W MnCGVSs2acLt6Bi6IHws1ZMJtPk65VkikL/2WfB+qn6pKyJhvp0FFsQRr0GhrjCtBm2C k3eWC2WAfZYnWKdeuvn7hc2ljDZnXhZHwNOqs=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

I am trying to use the xvm/xen in OpenSolaris on the top of zvol.

The combination of xen with zfs might be the tricky and does not have to
deliver what I expect.
I am worried that the xen (or any other VM) with zvol device from ZFS
(or any other file system.) may remove the benefits of ZFS,
 because the guest OS can write something to disk but the xen itself
can do some buffering
or lazy writing and it may delay to write to ZFS backend.

Does it make sense to use ZFS with xen to protect the guest completely
against accidental power outage or against the broken disk/cables?

I understand there is no implicit persistence implemented  in the
xen/xvm, so the actual
state of the guest system is lost on the power outage. However I would
like  to have
a consistent file system in the guest OS stored physicaly on the
mirrored backend zfs. to protect explicitly written data.

Can someone point me to a relevent documentations so I can read more about it?

I probably need some guarantees claims from ZFS and some guarantees
claims from xen and then I can judge.

I expect you (as a scientist) have much better overview of the proper
documentation or at least the ideas on the topic the virtual machines
and what in theory can and what cannot  be guaranteed.

Will ever the persistence be implemented the way the EROS/Coyotos or L3/L4 has?

Marian Klein