Re: [Xen-devel] What's XenBus and what's its relation with XenStore

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] What's XenBus and what's its relation with XenStore
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:09:55 +0100
Cc: Tom Creck <tom-xen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:10:40 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday 10 July 2008, Tom Creck wrote:
> Hello, I'm a new comer to understanding Xen internals.
>
> I want to know what is XenBus.
> I wonder where can I find materials explaining the internal of XenBus.
> Does it relate to XenStore?

Xenstore is a "registry"-like hierarchical store of domain configuration data.
It's used to do various stuff, including negotiating connections to device
drivers at start-up time, asking a domain to adjust its memory footprint or
shutdown, etc.  It's not a static store of information - domains can watch
for changes to it and respond accordingly.

Xenbus is a Linux interface to Xenstore.  This looks like a kind of "bus" to
Linux, which can be "scanned" to reveal what virtual devices are available.
It provides an API for paravirtualised drivers to receive notification and
information from Xenstore and to write data back to it.

Cheers,
Mark