Re: [Xen-devel] how is start_info used by domU

To: Sandesh <sandesh.ahiremath@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] how is start_info used by domU
From: "Grzegorz Miłoś" <gm281@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:32:21 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 11:32:42 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=d0zkjL/t8XMFSNeDLFKFYkKS4xMrnjcHOBtHjijhPNE=; b=nYWLE6AaQxWhL7q5gG5QUwTfzj6CAOCIGSnfeb8oD5k31E3/RIqw2doq++CCeWxikz Y0zTM45AKWjNI3XPYijyrVDF4uFydosmOzm7slZsy8xm0deliYmjVGPZEr8P09Qh+v1K JXMHpX6sSbbwjXXqXNExr8hbFTrvwi3COlPqU=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=liJ3zkMzC/8DJuDpX3/KJnceENadu4eYbUZAWZ9Z9tpH9Mdf+lzFTv+wsyaMU0kCzG 1TkNAMB5yNUEdQpZ0KAkJ6+Hbq9fHbNFdjQhoafMyW6kaCh/G0cxXTbRyiUe7xqDgigC JUqH1EqAqSpZLidJPr7rDVDJhNAZmQFQJcI+Y=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi,
>  I have a doubt regarding the way start_info fields are used by domU.
> I see that in start_info_x86_32(), most fields of start_info are getting
> initialized. I know that these info are used during the boot of guest
> OS, but iam not able to figure out as to how exactly this is achieved in
> the implementation?

First, Dom0 initialises start_info in DomU's memory. When it is
finished with the domain build, it hands the control over to DomU,
making sure that the location of the shared_info structure is know to
DomU's kernel. It does so, by saving pointer to start_info struct in
register %esi (look in vcpu_x86_32 defined in
tools/libxc/xc_dom_x86.c). When DomU kernel is executed, the first
thing it does, is to save the %esi to xen_start_info symbol (look in
startup_32 definied in arch/i386/kernel/head-xen.S). xen_start_info is
then available for later use.

> Another doubt i have is that the domain_builder executes vm_launch as
> its last step which makes setvcpucontext hypercall. After this when will
> it get loaded by the scheduler??

Python tools will take over (that's what executed domain_builder in
the first place) and unpause the domain after all the other bits and
pieces are set up. Xen will schedule DomU according to its built-in
policy.

Cheers
Gr(z)egor(z)