Re: [Xen-devel] Compiling 2.6.24 Dom0 Kernel

To: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Compiling 2.6.24 Dom0 Kernel
From: nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Nick Craig-Wood)
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 15:52:43 +0100
Cc: Heiko Rehder <heiko.rehder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 May 2008 07:53:08 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Heiko Rehder <heiko.rehder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I'm new to the list and I like to create a Xen Dom0 kernel with 2.6.24
>  kernel-sources, because I need the drivers of that kernel version.

We are in the same situation - 2.6.18 doesn't support the latest
hardware we are getting in.

>  I downloaded the Xen 3.2 Soruces tar.gz and tried to compile, but that
>  failed.
>
>  I think that only do "make world" will build an 2.6.18 Kernel but I
>  couldn't check that yet. So I think I need to connect the Xen sources
>  somehow to my recent kernel sources.

The way I've done this is the past is to do

  make mkpatches

In the xen source tree.  This produces linux-2.6-xen.patch which you
can then apply to the kernel tree of your choice.

However the kernel has moved on since 2.6.18 and bits of Xen have gone
upstream so that patch no longer applies to current kernels.

Some distributions (eg Fedora and Debian) seem to have Xen enabled
kernels for recent kernel versions, but I don't know how they got made
- I'd be interested to learn!

--
Nick Craig-Wood <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick