Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.2.1-rc5: FATAL PAGE FAULT

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.2.1-rc5: FATAL PAGE FAULT
From: "Christopher S. Aker" <caker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:39:56 -0400
Cc: xen devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:40:23 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:
The second crash is just some overzealous asserting. Easily fixed but also
not very interesting, unfortunately.

The two main backtraces are exactly the same bug as you saw last time.
Except in this case you have bogus nonsense in a pair of L2 pagetable
entries, whereas last time the garbage was in an L3 entry.

My best guess just now, seeing as noone else has reported ever seeing this,
is that maybe you have a bad driver or hardware corrupting memory? Obviously
that's a bit of a stab in the dark though.

Have you seen this particular type of crash on multiple different machines?
If so, are they different types of machine?

Two machines thus far, both are of identical software and hardware configurations.

Now that it looks like the 3ware issues have been corrected in post-Xen 3.1 dom0, I'll update our boxes from 2.6.16.x to 2.6.18.8 and hope for the best.

Thanks for your help so far.

-Chris