Re: [Xen-devel] Xen frame buffer related

To: "Markus Armbruster" <armbru@xxxxxxxxxx>, samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen frame buffer related
From: "Dushmanta Mohapatra" <dushmanta.mohapatra@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:20:48 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 12:21:11 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=hUMXeDqyG6zvpsXlUzZx28nK3C20JXUQjZOM+roS04A=; b=N5RP1CafM/pa1/Icxd+qVu9G5EoaM0ipd6gMoM0x/vcxN6wp1sr4lSaA5F+hCRcrBqnIex2kh+oieFyG4TCwN9khIWqSxqv05V2GVgdtH5D+FdCPJVRa5NfRbGYm58JHOjLvI7QzT0iPFw4nwtkFc5fCS03nIkE6IIktGAdQgiw=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for the detailed reply. Makes the things a lot more clearer to me.

But I have got a few more questions.

How do I use the VNC/SDL to view domU's console.  I saw a thread http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-08/msg00351.html
related to this and followed the approach.
(I assume all the 10 patches mentioned in this series are available in Xen 3.2. Am I right?)

In my domU config file I use options like this;

vfb = [ 'type=sdl' ]
#vfb = ['type=vnc ']
#extra = "xencons=tty video=xenfb"
extra = 'xencons=ttyS0 console=ttyS0 video=xenfb'

The domU starts booting and stops after printing some texts to the tty console (I think it waits for the back-end to come-up)

Then I execute the command <qemu-dm -M xenpv -d domid>. Then a black screen flashes for a fraction of a second and goes away.
Nothing happens. So am I doing the write things. Or am I supposed to do some thing different?

(Do I need to start a VNC viewer in dom0 in case I am using the VNC option)

in Xen 3.1 there was a tool vncfb . But that is missing in 3.2. I assume all of that functionality has been put into qemu-dm.

In the thread http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-08/msg00351.html  it is mentioned about merging xenfb and xenconsoled into qemu-dm. So what is the purpose of xenconsoled . If I look through my system I find binaries like (/usr/bin/xencons , /usr/sbin/xenconsoled /usr/lib64/xen/bin/xenconsole). Could you please give me an idea what are these used for?

Finally a logistics question:
Like you have said in your reply 2.6.18 kernel is not usable for many purposes. But Xen website does not provide support for any later version of kernel for dom0. Are the Xen guys planning  to  provide  port for a later kernel like 2.6.23 /24?

So I am wondering if I use the Xen that comes inbuilt with Linux distributions like Fedora8 do I get all the pvops features that you are mentioning? But I guess Fedora8 has Xen 3.1.  And the current hypervisor is 3.2 . So all this make the whole thing a bit confusing.

Thanks,
Dushmanta