From: Jean Guyader [mailto:jean.guyader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 10:50 AM
To: Kay, Allen M
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] pci pass-through, NIC card

Kay, Allen M wrote:
Does this happen during xen/dom0 boot time or during HVM guest boot?

Are you using and desktop or server platform? Are you using
the latest
BIOS?  Some older BIOS does not initialize VT-d HW properly.

Allen

It's a server platform, I could indeed check if it is the latest bios.

This is happen during the HVM guest boot, all initialisation in dom0 are ok. The device I tried to pass-through was a pci NIC.

I have tried to pass-through a PCIe NIC and it works better, I mean the hvm guest boot. The NIC card is well detected by the hvm guest but, there is still a problem. When I tried to get an ip address from dhcp I received a storm of "iommu_page_fault" (enclosed the log).

The pci device I try to pass-through is at the address 8:0:0.

I have disable the pci msi in the guest.

Thanks,

May be it fails because, the NIC I tried to pass-through is not a PCie e1000 card. The MIC card is a 82575EB and it works fine in dom0 with the igb driver (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=42302).

--
Jean Guyader