[Xen-devel] Testing of GPL PV xennet

To: "Andy Grover" <andy.grover@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Testing of GPL PV xennet
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:36:52 +1100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 05:37:18 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy/Anyone else,

I have finally gotten the tcp offload receive working, which should
enhance performance somewhat, or at least stop things breaking so
horribly. Please pull the latest source from hg, build it, and give it a
go. All being well I'll do another binary release shortly and get back
to the other nagging issues that still seem to persist (eg /gplpv not
hiding devices when it should).

Performance values for a test from Dom0 to DomU using iperf are:
Machine 1: ~800Mbits/sec (it's doing a backup right now though)
Machine 2: ~150Mbits/

Machine 2 is a very low end server (HP ML115). Machine 1 is a bit more
powerful (HP DL385), as you may conclude from the results :)

With your iperf results, I would also like to know what the loopback
results (iperf -s and iperf -c on the same server) are for Dom0 and the
Windows DomU. In my case:

Machine 1 Dom0: ~2Gbits/sec
Machine 1 DomU: ~800Mbits/sec (100% CPU)

Machine 2 Dom0: ~2.5Gbits/sec (no backups running?)
Machine 2 DomU: ~100Mbits/sec (66% CPU)

James