[Xen-devel] 3.2 and later compatibility issue

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] 3.2 and later compatibility issue
From: John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:05:46 +0000
Cc: joe.bonasera@xxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:16:56 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
As described in

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6650717

3.2 and later have tightened checks such that Solaris is now broken.
Joe's comment (which you can't see for some reason) says:

"Strictly speaking we're not changing Xen's heap mappings. The issue
is that we are creating new mappings to Xen heap pages that have
not full caching attributes. Intel says that all mappings to a given
page should use the same caching attributes. It appears that Xen
is now enforcing that with a check."

This is a fairly nasty compatibility issue, but then, Solaris is "wrong"
in trying to add the mappings as they are. Is there a sensible way to
fix this breakage in Xen?

regards
john