Re: [Xen-devel] Issues with multiple differing guest HZ rates?

To: "dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Issues with multiple differing guest HZ rates?
From: Chris Lalancette <clalance@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 22:14:26 -0500
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 19:14:51 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> In a timer patch in RHEL5u1 (by Alan Cox), is the comment:
>
> "Xen itself has issues with multiple differing guest GZ rates"
> (and I assume that GZ is a typo, should be HZ)
>
> Can anyone explain this further or are there experimental
> results to back it up?  We are seeing some strangeness with
> running multiple pvm guests with different HZ rates and wonder
> if this is related.

I highly doubt it; in that comment, Alan was describing why he *didn't*
implement the tick divider for Xen kernels.  So that patch doesn't
actually touch any Xen code in particular, and should in general not be
touching much code that the -xen kernels share with the bare-metal
kernel either.  What's the problem you are seeing with different HZ
rates in guests?

Chris Lalancette