RE: [Xen-devel] Can I expose a pci device to HVM domU?

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Can I expose a pci device to HVM domU?
From: "Caitlin Bestler" <Caitlin.Bestler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:45:07 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:46:38 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ultimately *some* form of Address Translation Service is required.
Stacking the deck so that a null translation works is still a form
of Address Translation Service. Translating work requests in a
backend driver is also an Address Translation Service.

I see no problem of embracing multiple Address Translation solutions,
as long as the caveats with each are clear and unambiguous. But I
think it would be a mistake for a Hypervisor to take extra steps
to facilitate solutions that do not provide the full  equivalent
of a PCI-SIG defined IOMMU.

In this case, I would not recommend taking extra steps to enable
direct access to a NIC from an HVM Guest. Trusting a guest to refrain
from accessing memory it does not own is a major act of faith that
is rarely justified, but an HVM Guest would not even understand what
it has been entrusted with. That sounds very risky to me.