Re: [Xen-devel] is there any way to avoid lazy updates to page attribute

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] is there any way to avoid lazy updates to page attribute bits?
From: "Kip Macy" <kip.macy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:56:48 -0800
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:57:19 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=IA3bw2NG+gb66pq3+WBmVLt00H3bplxRTKF7E365S3U=; b=j5B0blZ9y1uAae9DCaFJHAWgGMknTnDCY1DT5yiUuOivg08WczeL3fc9A4+fXQlrsCfDiXthswmSHGPeP9ESUQCij79IsZTeO1Iz1xe6/MkjagQF71XBa+VkxR6qTrulo7bU+xBWEoQ/IsucIbt7g8AMdjObiLz1XQc7Vpt7nL4=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 20/2/08 02:34, "Kip Macy" <kip.macy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>  > I'm finding that regardless of which update method I use - writeable
>  > page tables, HYPERVISOR_update_va_mapping, or HYPERVISOR_mmu_update
>  > that xen will frequently only update the address bits in the page
>  > table at the time of the hypercall - presumably setting the attribute
>  > bits some time later when the mapping is accessed. This is fairly
>  > problematic for me in that freebsd relies on the page attribute bits
>  > in the page table accurately reflecting the attributes that were set
>  > for a mapping. Is it now necessary for PV guests to maintain page
>  > attribute data outside of the page tables?
>
>  Attributes are always updated synchronously at the same time as the address
>  bits. Xen may modify the attributes a bit (e.g., fiddling with PAGE_GLOBAL
>  and PAGE_USER for 64-bit guests) but this is done deterministically and
>  synchronously; never lazily.

Ok. That isn't what I'm seeing on 3.1 and 3.2, I'll instrument xen and
try to track it down.

Also, I removed the use of recursive page tables so that I could use
writeable page tables - not realizing that wr pts were a dud. I've
disabled writeable page tables and have tried re-enabling the use of
recursive page tables. It appears that that doesn't work at all any
more - is that correct?

 -Kip