[Xen-devel] Re: Early test for 32- vs 64-bit hvm domain?

To: Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Early test for 32- vs 64-bit hvm domain?
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 19:28:24 +0000
Cc: "dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:29:17 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 30/1/08 18:44, "Andi Kleen" <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> As sson as you see LME bit get set in the EFER MSR then you know you have a
>> 64-bit guest. Writes to EFER are emulated in long_mode_do_msr_write() in
>> vmx.c and svm.c. Those are the places to patch in Xen 3.1 branch.
>
> You could do it slightly earlier by intercepting bios int 0x15 eax=0xec00
> ebx=2 The kernel issues that to tell the BIOS it is 64bit.
>
> That will only work if the boot loader does not skip the real mode code
> (a few do)

Oh, I hadn't read about that. We should probably make that call during Xen
boot then. For this particular issue I expect that trapping EFER.LME is
equally good, and it depends on whether the trap is more conveniently
triggered in the hypervisor itself or in the virtual bios.

 -- Keir