Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.1.3 and Linux Kernel 2.6.18.8

To: caglar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.1.3 and Linux Kernel 2.6.18.8
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:02:23 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 07:03:35 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 16:50 +0200, S.Çağlar Onur wrote:
> Hi;
>
> 16 Oca 2008 Çar tarihinde, Keir Fraser şunları yazmıştı:
> > Is this the *only* change in the .8 patch that affects any sparse tree
> > file?
> >
> >  -- Keir
>
> I'll check again ASAP, by the way what i do is like that, if its wrong please
> yell.
>
> First i use 2.6.18 as a base with current sparse tree and generate a Xen
> patches tree.
>
> After that, i tried to patch this tree with 2.6.18.8 patch and check .rej
> files against sparse tree history to decide whether its needed or not etc.

That's only half the story since that will only catch bits of the
2.6.18.8 patch which conflict with patches in the sparse tree.

You also need to use lsdiff or diffstat to determine which files are
patched by the 2.6.18.8 patch and then determine which of those are also
present in the sparse tree. Those are the files you then need to update
in the sparse tree otherwise the 2.6.18.8 patch will effectively be
reverted when the sparse tree is applied.

Ian.