Re: [Xen-devel] That xenstored console leak...

To: John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] That xenstored console leak...
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:28:40 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:29:10 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 15/1/08 16:11, "John Levon" <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 08:59:49AM -0700, Jim Fehlig wrote:
>
>> Perhaps we should look at handling network and block devices in a
>> similar fashion - eliminating the need to write any device info to this
>> path?
>
> Seems like if anything else is needed for networking, it could be put in
> /local/domain/0/backend, if it's not already?

Configuration values that are managed by xend should not go in the backend
or frontend /local/domain/ directories, unless they are shadow values for
use of frontend/backend drivers only and xend maintains its own internal
'true' value. This is because we are striving for a model (with isolated
driver domains) where xend does not have to trust frontend or backend
drivers to behave nicely. If we put config values like MAC address into the
backend directory then they could be overwritten arbitrarily by the backend
driver.

I suppose maybe it's a somewhat academic or theoretical problem, at least
right now, but since decisions of this type are visible to any users of the
xenbus driver interfaces, not just xend, it'd be nice to keep the interfaces
via xenstore as clean and sane as possible.

 -- Keir