Re: [Xen-devel] Source of guest-physical address in PCI BAR for HVM doma

To: "Samuel Thibault" <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "David Stone" <unclestoner@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Source of guest-physical address in PCI BAR for HVM domain?
From: "David Stone" <unclestoner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 13:25:47 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 10:26:13 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=a0MCP65ah4ZtD3MCR4+gIiRZMOqKIptBK+QnhBBPMn4=; b=rux2aSvQZYqqUQaib+GuqEfD4shRu1FdfyJLRICWXBIjTFjwBKp6h/eB+MsGMFakNSeZrn/Se+LJr5f3aTETpXov/YLH2eLCHCK65c3+irTkl3mLbY7/eZKDaesbBBbVOWpoQr8Xg45JrzZmgaquZsgjt9IrPaiAaJoIL0l6QMw=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for your response.

> > So I guess this the PCI config-space write to set the BAR is passed to
> > qemu-dm as a command from the hypervisor
>
> Yes.

But doesn't qemu act as the BIOS for HVM domains?  Why would the
hypervisor be doing the initial PCI BAR setup?

> > If so, shouldn't the early PCI configuration from the BIOS be coming
> > from qemu itself?
>
> It is. It's odd you have troubles so early in the boot, is your
> configuration a bit special in any way?

Yes, I didn't mention the most important part: the device in question
is a physical PCI device (a PCI Express graphics card) that I am
passing through to the Windows 2003 guest domain via VT-d.  (The VT-d
support generally works for me because I can pass a PCI NIC through no
problem.)  (I realize VT-d'ing a PCI-XP graphics card is
experimental...but that's what I'm doing, experimenting...).

Thanks,
Dave