[Xen-devel] RE: Question on virtual HPET's behavior

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: Question on virtual HPET's behavior
From: "Shan, Haitao" <haitao.shan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:19:03 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 06:19:48 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No. I did not see such an OS. My concern is: When VAL_SET_CNF is set, do the two registers all get updated? The spec does provide information. From our tests, if you strictly follow the sequence attached in my first mail, the comparator can keep increasing normally. With virtual HPET, it is not true, because period is not considered to be set by only one write. Our tests are carried out on ICH9.

This leads me to confusion. Which one is the right behavior? Writing twice should guarantee the correctness, but is it a must?

Haitao Shan