Re: [Xen-devel] Looking for information on xen bus

To: Parag Chakraborty <paragc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Looking for information on xen bus
From: Andy Grover <andy.grover@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:14:10 -0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:15:13 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 14:25 -0800, Parag Chakraborty wrote:
> I am trying to build something that needs a communication channel
> between 2 domU partitions.
> Does xen bus support communication between domUs or does it only
> support communication between dom0 and domU?

Well according to my copy of "The Definitive Guide to the Xen
Hypervisor", xenbus is "an informal protocol built on top of the
xenstore, which provides a way of enumerating the (virtual) devices
available to a given domain, and connecting to them". So it's really for
setup info, not inter-dom communication.

You probably want your domUs to share pages. One of your domUs can
advertise where the page it has shared is (grant ref#, domid) via xenbus
and then the other domU can read xenbus to get the gref and domid, and
map that page.

> Are there any windows implementation for xenbus on the domU side?

Yes, check out http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/win-pvdrivers.hg . For
the moment you'll have to compile it yourself.

Regards -- Andy