Re: [Xen-devel] consistent LVM snapshot of domUs from dom0

Hello Mark,
thanks very very much for a reply, I was beginning to feel a bit sad that
nobody replied :)

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Mark Williamson wrote:

If your LVM is running in dom0 and you snapshot the storage used by a domU
then, no, it won't snapshot the domU's filesystem automatically.
OK, good to know there is a problem to solve :)

You're quite right.  I've just had a look at it and it looks quite feasible to
do this.  The obvious simple way to implement it would be to add an xm
command that causes a domain to freeze its filesystems into a consistent
state and then return when that is done.
e.g.

xm create mydomain
xm fs_freeze mydomain
<do backup>
xm fs_unfreeze mydomain
Yes, I really like this way, and now the question is: do You think, that You could have a time to look at it in near future? Or should I try to solve it? I do not have knowledge of xen internals to do it (yet?), but I'm trying to learn anyways, so maybe I could try to fix, if there would be somebody to give me some guidance ;)
What do you think?

Anyways thanks a lot for Your time once more
nik