RE: [Xen-devel] Re: Next steps with pv_ops for Xen

To: "'Mark Williamson'" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Re: Next steps with pv_ops for Xen
From: "D.G. Murray" <Derek.Murray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 18:36:37 -0000
Cc: 'Eduardo Habkost' <ehabkost@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'Juan Quintela' <quintela@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Stephen C. Tweedie'" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'Jan Beulich' <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'Glauber de Oliveira Costa' <gcosta@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'Chris Wright' <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, 'Gerd Hoffmann' <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:37:48 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Mark,

> Maybe a change to the gntdev userspace API to allow batching
> of mapping requests?

Something along the lines of the following?

/**
 * Memory maps one or more grant references from one or more domains to a
 * contiguous local address range. Mappings should be unmapped with
 * xc_gnttab_munmap. Returns NULL on failure.
 *
 * @parm xcg_handle a handle on an open grant table interface
 * @parm count the number of grant references to be mapped
 * @parm domids an array of @count domain IDs by which the corresponding
@refs
 * were granted
 * @parm refs an array of @count grant references to be mapped
 * @parm prot same flag as in mmap()
 */
void *xc_gnttab_map_grant_refs(int xcg_handle,
                               uint32_t count,
                               uint32_t *domids,
                               uint32_t *refs,
                               int prot);

http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg?file/3057f813da14/tools/libxc/x
enctrl.h

> blktap in userspace, if any performance problems can be
> addressed, would seem to be a far nicer way of doing things.
> And it's less code to merge upstream ;-)

Agreed.

Cheers,

Derek.