Re: [Xen-devel] Notification on a domU creation and a XenBus watch quest

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Notification on a domU creation and a XenBus watch question
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 03:11:58 +0000
Cc: ashutosh mehra <ashutosh.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:12:37 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I am writing a module for dom0 which needs to be notified when a domain is
> created/destroyed. Is that possible?

Do you mean a kernel module?

But yes, if you create the appropriate watches using the XenBus API I think
you should be able to get notifications.  Or in userspace you can use C or
Python to register Xenbus watches.

> And is it possible to add a watch on
> all /local/domain/<id>/path/key without specifying the domain ID? I mean
> the watch should be on all /path/key of the currently executing domains.
> Does XenBus support this or will I have to individually add a watch on all
> /local/domain/<id>/path/keys?

As far as I know you'd need to register a watch on each path separately at the
moment...

In the future, I was thinking it might be nice to have a "/local/services/"
directory which everyone could watch and which domain could post
notifications in.  e.g. if everyone is interested in the "foo" service, they
could watch /local/services/foo.  If domain 5 wants to advertise this service
they'd post into "/local/services/foo/5/" to tell everyone about it.  I've
never got round to implementing it but I'm curious whether this would suit
the application you have in mind?

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.