Re: [Xen-devel] freebsd domU boot problem

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] freebsd domU boot problem
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 05:08:46 +0000
Cc: Sanket Hase <shase@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kip Macy <kip.macy@xxxxxxxxx>, Christoph Egger <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 21:09:32 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Error that we are getting is "guest type xen-3.0-x86_32 not supported by
> xen kernel"
>

> If you have noticed above in the output of xm info
> xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_32p
> Does this "p" in xen-3.0-x86_32p stands for PAE ?

Yes.

> Should there be an explicit mention of xen-3.0-x86_32 in xen_caps ?
> If yes , what determines the type of supported guests ?

You are running a 32-bit PAE Xen, which means that paravirtualised guests must
be 32-bit PAE also.

As far as I know the *BSD ports only run on non-PAE Xen (at the moment), which
was the default Xen build when those ports were done.

If you build a non-PAE Xen then you may have some luck running these guests.
You can build non-PAE Linuxes to run on there too.  But you won't be able to
run PAE guests of either PV or HVM type anymore.

Cheers,
Mark

> Thanks,
> Sanket
>
> Christoph Egger wrote:
> > On Monday 12 November 2007 12:31:07 sanket hase wrote:
> >> Hi  Folks   ,
> >>
> >> Heres something
> >>
> >> xen412:/etc/xen#  xm create -c freebsd_xen
> >> Using config file "./freebsd_xen".
> >> Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'xc_dom_compat_check: guest type
> >> xen-3.0-x86_32 not supported by xen kernel, sorry\n')
> >>
> >> Whats with "guest type xen-3.0-x86_32 not supported by xen kernel" ?
> >
> > "xm info" tells you what guest types are supported.
> >
> > To me, it looks like you are running a 64bit hypervisor and you try to
> > launch a paravirtualized FreeBSD 32bit DomU which has no PAE support.
> >

> > Christoph

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!