Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] hvm-stub for ia64

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] hvm-stub for ia64
From: tgingold@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:00:24 +0100
Cc: tgingold@xxxxxxx, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 02:00:59 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On 22/11/07 09:31, "tgingold@xxxxxxx" <tgingold@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Presumably the old HVM builder for ia64 becomes dead code though? So really
> this is the 'new' hvm building path. Do you need to support the old way (on
> ia64) if this is checked in?
Yes, I don't plan to remove the old way on ia64.  I have not implemented
a VGA in the stub firmware and I don't plan to do it soon.  Only Windows
requires a VGA and I don't have Windows for ia64.

> I doubt the magnitude of changes in tools/hypervisor is different between
> the two approaches. It might even be smaller in the separate domain
> approach.
We are speaking about around 200 lines of code in the hypervisor and slightly
more for tools (300 lines mostly ia64 specific), right ?

Is the stub domain code already available ?  I'd like to have a look.

Tristan.