Re: [Xen-devel] Dom0 hangs on boot, CentOS 5 x86_64

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Dom0 hangs on boot, CentOS 5 x86_64
From: Steve Hill <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:08:14 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 08:08:52 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, Keir Fraser wrote:

If you can't boot 'acpi=off' with native Linux then that is not a good sign.
Your chances of booting on Xen without 'acpi=off' are small. When you
specify 'acpi=off' are you putting it on Xen's command line or dom0's? It
should be on Xen's -- if Xen and dom0 disagree about use of acpi then the
system is rather unlikely to boot.

Thank you for your help - it pointed me in the right direction. I was specifying acpi=off on just the dom0 Linux kernel. Adding acpi=noirq to the Xen kernel instead seems to have worked around the problem.

It's quite a sad state of affairs when an Intel board with a 2 month old BIOS has such big ACPI problems - I thought the BIOS vendors had squashed most of them these days. :(

--

 - Steve
   xmpp:steve@xxxxxxxxxxx   sip:steve@xxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.nexusuk.org/