Re: [Xen-devel] [patch 30/44] xen: Add support for preemption

To: tgh <wwwwww4187@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [patch 30/44] xen: Add support for preemption
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:25:35 -0700
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lkml <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:26:19 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tgh wrote:
> hi
> I am using xen,and I am curious about whether Xen support the preempt
> scheduler for the VMs or not
> could the VM be prempted by xen to scheduler another VM?

Yes, that's the normal mode of operation. The hypervisor will timeslice
multiple vcpus onto a single vcpu.

This patch doesn't relate to that; it's whether a Xen Linux guest's
kernel can be preempted to reschedule processes while running under Xen.
The normal xen-unstable or vendor Xen kernels don't support this, but
the mainline kernel with paravirt_ops/xen support does.