[Xen-devel] branch trace msr question

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ryan Gardner" <ryan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] branch trace msr question
From: "Sujata Garera" <sujatadoshi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:48:05 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:49:09 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Oops forgot to change the subject!
Please find my email below
Sujata

Hi,

I'm a student working on a research project using xen, and part of
what we are doing requires the ability to use the branch tracing
facilities of the processor.  I.e. we need to be able to write to the
IA32_DEBUGCTL MSR and read from the Last Branch Record (LBR) stack
(the second of which it appears we can do).

We saw a thread discussing this:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-08/msg00198.html
.  However, it doesn't appear that the method was ever finalized, and
we were unable to find a patch.  Does such a patch exist, or is there
simple way we can read and write to the necessary MSRs in our VM?  Can
we just hack the xen code to set the correct bits in the VMCS MSR
bitmaps?  If so, where are those bitmaps set in the code?

Thanks a lot.

Sujata