Re: [Xen-devel] Weird bug: system instability after cat /proc/kcore

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Weird bug: system instability after cat /proc/kcore
From: "Michael Marineau" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 23:50:19 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 23:50:59 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=YJFDKP2hOq5IJSsbjCyGt3jzh0tO7fBwaLmmpcylUFk=; b=Tv1rG5HfZPvH8pgqedBimaFc6ZqK5w4yRMFwGv+6QQvtMR3GQCpEulhUqon2kxYNRuE8QzkDdUHWw+1lpB4BFVB3b2cUyKG09S8vcGRstAV9BB0oPOUuXHBdct8WGIy7wWOE+h8kRMx6HdWKCIVsQBXBoUtqbfisyn/E9uGcC7E=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=XlHBP6wsJyDSBBu7bpOlIom1y1YoaFF4h8/QUreaM4Q1oINDA9R6XBJUx4vPjgqiqZAYAoHsBg5IdePwsxMny2vKMj9X1UGsSSvkduJe1WZ5hHq+w/BCoRyaag20DHTJpbEaYzveXolNmzN9/F3/BsciOPn6G+2tE+O1yg3QfSc=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 10/3/07, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So the crashes you have been seeing only occur after accessing /proc/kcore?
>
>  -- Keir

There are no crashes associated with this kcore problem. I didn't even
have kcore enabled until I made another attempt at digging into the
oops I reported earlier. All that happens with this issue are some
occasional segfaults and sometimes a glibc double free error. There
isn't a kernel oops or other error message. The sagfaults can take
some time to trigger so I don't have a lot of info yet but this is a
quick rundown of what I was able to find today:

* I usually hit segfaults during an 'emerge gdb' but one time it took
a second compile before I hit it. Other loads should also work, but I
just stuck with one to keep things simple.
* If I do a compile round before reading kcore I had no problem (but
that might be luck)
* I had to use cat /proc/kcore > somefile, cat /proc/kcore >/dev/null
didn't trigger it as far as I could tell.
* This is on an x86 box w/ gcc 3.4. I haven't tried amd64 or other gcc
versions yet.

This is pretty weird and obscure so unless someone has any ideas I'm
not going to spend much time on it right now.

--
Michael Marineau
Oregon State University