Re: [Xen-devel] shutdown question - PV vs HVM

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] shutdown question - PV vs HVM
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:28:17 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:24:32 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For a PV guest, a shutdown node is written into xenstore which the guest
picks up. The guest will then usually initiate a clean shutdown.

The same happens for an HVM guest with PV drivers installed. If an HVM guest
has no PV drivers (And so will obviously not be watching xenstore) then xend
notifies the shutdown immediately to Xen. This causes Xen to immediately
transition the guest to shutdown state, and no longer execute the guest,
with no chance for clean shutdown. If there are no PV drivers installed,
clean shutdown needs to be initiated from within the guest.

 -- Keir