Re: [Xen-devel] ANNOUNCE: Xen 3.1.1 Second Release Candidate

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] ANNOUNCE: Xen 3.1.1 Second Release Candidate
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:05:00 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:05:53 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 27/9/07 17:56, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is the 3.1.1 release intended to be hypervisor ABI compatible with the
> 3.1.0  release ? ie can I expect the 3.1.1 userspace bits to work reliably
> on a 3.1.0 hypervisor, or vica-verca.
>
> A quick test shows I can start XenD & launch guests with a 3.1.1 XenD
> on a 3.1.0 hypervisor. I'm wondering if this is just luck that will soon
> fail me, or a intended result ?
>
> If hypervisor ABI compatability for minor point releases is intended this
> would make me very happy because it removes a huge upgrade headache. We
> have traditionally not been able to push out the Xen minor point releases
> as update errata to Fedora distros because of the need to lock-step upgrade
> the hypervisor at the same time as the userspace.

I can happily tell you that the tools ABI is stable for minor point
releases. At least, that is our intention (we don't automatically test it).

By the way, I guess I'll push your xend patches into -rc3 if they seem well
behaved in -unstable after a few days.

 -- Keir