[Xen-devel] could xenlinux outperform linux on connection latency benchm

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] could xenlinux outperform linux on connection latency benchmark?
From: "Fengzhe Zhang" <fengzhe.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 02:19:44 +0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 11:17:15 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi, all

I am doing some benchmarking for opensshd(3.6.1) connection latency, and Xenlinux outperforms Linux.
Xenlinux got connection time about 320ms and Linux got about 350ms.
This doesn't make sense to me, and i failed to find out why.

The PC i use is two ordinary Pentium4, with 1GB memory. and the systems are Xen-3.0.2 and Linux-2.6.16.

authentication key of the client system is copied to sshd server side, so that the client could login without password.

the testing script looks like:

#!/bin/bash
p_start=`date +%s%N`
start=`expr "$p_start"`
ssh -lppi 10.132.143.42 -p 290 exit
p_finish=`date +%s%N`
finish=`expr "$p_finish"`
duration=`expr "$finish" "-" "$start"`
echo "Use time: ${duration} ns"

i tried configuring Linux kernel as close to Xenlinux as possible, e.g., turning off preemption,
using 100Hz, no oprofile support, Pentium Pro processor type, etc.

Does it mean that in some aspect Xenlinux could outperform Linux?

thanks

fred