Re: [Xen-devel] fbfront

To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] fbfront
From: Markus Armbruster <armbru@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:22:31 +0200
Cc: Ky Srinivasan <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:20:17 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 16:42 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
>> The framebuffer device exported by qemu-dm seems to do the job perfectly
>> well for HVM guests.
>
> For PV guests the backport is hampered by zap_page_range() not being
> exported on any released kernels and being too big and complex for a
> sane compat layer.
>
> Someone from RH suggested ages ago that fbfront could be changed to use
> unmap_mapping_range() instead but I haven't heard anything more since.

Yes.  But it's a hairy job, and nobody has gotten around to it so far.

Quoting from the archive: We'd like to replace zap_page_range() with
unmap_mapping_range(), for several good reasons:

* it is already fully exported,

* it deals with locking automatically via the address_space
  i_mmap_lock spinlock,

* it automatically iterates over all the vmas on the address_space
  without us having to loop over them ourselves.