Re: [Xen-devel] Many same managed domain

To: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Many same managed domain
From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:23:36 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 06:21:21 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 06:16:57PM -0600, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> Daniel Berrange wrote:
> [snip]
> >> Thanks for your explanation.
> >> I have a question to your logic.  I think that the logic need a VM
> >> name check when no VM with same UUID exists.  Am I right?
> >>
> >>   - If the UUID is not specified
> >>         - If a VM with same name exists
> >>             => Update the config for that existing VM
> >>         - Else no vm with same name exists
> >>             => Define a brand new VM with auto-generated UUID
> >>   - Else UUID is specified
> >>         - If a VM with same UUID exists
> >>               - If name is different
> >>                     => Error
> >>               - Else if name is same
> >>                     => Update the config for that existing VM
> >>         - Else no VM with same UUID exists
> >> -           => Define a branch new VM with that name
> >> +             - If name is different
> >> +                   => Define a branch new VM with that name
> >> +             - Else if name is same
> >> +                   => Error
> >>

> > Yes you are correct - if UUID does not clash we still need to check for
> > a VM with same name, but different UUID.
> >

> As a side note, Xen API allows for domains with same name - in spec at
> least :-).

That is madness. Name uniqueness is assumed in pretty much every single
management tool I've ever seen, not least 'xm'. ID is unique amongst all
running domains, Name is unique amongst running and inactive guests on a
single host, UUID is unique globsally.

Dan.