RE: [Xen-devel] xenoprof support patch issue for oprofile 0.9.3

To: "William Cohen" <wcohen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] xenoprof support patch issue for oprofile 0.9.3
From: "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:42:43 -0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, oprofile-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:41:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  I will forward the email discussion I had with John on a private
  message

>>  Passive means that the domain
>> is not taking the samples and storing them in the domain, right?

  Right! This makes profiling guests in kernel and xen mode much
  simpler than with active domains and avoids the complexities you
  mention below. With passive domains there is no need to run
  oprofile on guests as dom0 process all guest samples.
  The disadvantage is that you cannot assign
  user level samples to the right binaries in the guest.

>> One of the things that I have noticed on my previous
>> experiments with the xenoprof is there are quite a few steps
>> to setup xenoprof. The user has to do setup on each domain.
>> Ideally it would be nice to be able to just do one setup in
>> the host domain and then have that information be propagated
>> to the guest domains. Similarly the analysis would be nice
>> to get one over all picture of all the domains. Clusters
>> have a similar issue; one doesn't want to manage machine
>> individually. However clusters may have different hardware
>> for the various nodes in the cluster. With xen the only
>> difference could be the software.

  Yes, profiling multiple guests (as active domains) is somewhat
  complex. But, it should not be difficult to have some wrapper scripts
  to coordinate oprofile execution on multiple domains, using
  possibly ssh, hiding the complexities from the user.

  Renato