[Xen-devel] How to get a framebuffer console on dom0

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] How to get a framebuffer console on dom0
From: p <p@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:04:34 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 06:02:25 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I'm trying hard to get a framebuffer console on a dom0 (Ubuntu
7.04/Debian Etch with (virtual)framebuffer support compiled it +
Xen3.1)  and already tried different tutorials, e.g. starting dom0 with
kernel parameters
- "xencons=xvc console=xvc0 console=tty1"
or
- "xencons=ttyS0 console=ttyS0 video=xenfb" and appending
"S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty ttyS0" to /etc/inittab

In both cases the framebuffer seems to be used (the fonts is small)
while booting, but at a certain point ['Loading essential drivers'] the
console went back to normal mode.
I can see a /dev/fb0 device, too, but can't read from it and write to it
seems to have no effect.

The same problem also happens on a domU (with sdl). After starting a
domU, I receive a black window until I start a xserver.
How can I get my console output on this "black window" and why am I not
able to get any windows on the screen (tried fluxbox and saw workspaces
and menus, but nothing happens when I start a program)?

Many thanks

Philipp