RE: [Xen-devel] TPM , Qemu and hvm guests

To: "Xen Xen" <xendoubt@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] TPM , Qemu and hvm guests
From: "Cihula, Joseph" <joseph.cihula@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:21:02 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:18:49 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The qemu TPM device model does not emulate the TPM functionality but
rather provides an interface between the MMIO registers of the TPM and
the vTPM Manager.  The vTPM Manager provides (via a software TPM
emulator) TPM services to both paravirt and HVM guests.

The vTPM code is not built by default, so you need to enable it in
Config.mk (VTPM_TOOLS ?= y).  There is documentation in the
tools/vtpm_manager and docs/misc directories that should help get it
working for you.

tpm_tis(.ko) is the TPM v1.2 device driver for Linux.  You need to load
this before you can use your physical TPM.  You will need this loaded in
dom0 for vTPM Manager to use the physical TPM and you will also need to
load it in a Linux HVM guest.

Joe