Re: [Xen-devel] Hvm Guest Image

To: "Xen Xen" <xendoubt@xxxxxxxxx>,xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Hvm Guest Image
From: Mats Petersson <mats@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:41:05 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 05:14:28 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 09:34 17/07/2007, Xen Xen wrote:
Well the problem is that i want to insert modules compiled from the unmodified drivers into the hvm guest. But there is a problem with the module version of both the hvm guests kernel and the dom0 kernel where i am compiling them. So i would need the same kernel running as dom0 to run as hvm guest. Any way i can do it??

If you want to run the same kernel, then you shouldn't be using HVM-mode [there's no advantage in doing that if your goal isn't to run a "standard distro as it comes on the media"].

If you still want to run HVM, you need to have two different kernels + related modules, as the modules in Dom0 are compiled with the modified header files (and some have the source modified too) to allow them to behave nicely in a para-virtual environment (e.g. calling hypercalls to the Xen kernel when a standard kernel "just gets on with it").

There is work on coming up with a "para-virt-ops" kernel, which will "know" whether it's running on a hypervisor or not, and "adjust" it's internal functionality to suit the environment it's run in, but that's not ready for use yet [There was a 44-patch-set sent in today to this mailing list for possible inclusion in the Linux-mainstream kernel].

By the way, the best way to build unmodified drivers is to add the source-code to your installed guest-kernel, and build them. It should work reasonably well even with earlier versions of the kernel - as long as it's 2.6 and reasonably resent - 2.6.9 may not be new enough, but something a few steppings newer should be fine.

Alternatively, take the linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2 that is downloaded during the build, untar it outside the xen-tree, add the unmodified drivers and build that.

--
Mats

On 7/17/07, Mats Petersson <<mailto:mats@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>mats@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 08:56 17/07/2007, Xen Xen wrote:
>the xen source directory that i downloaded has a ref-linux-2.6.18 directory.
>Is that the unmodified linux that i can use to install a hvm guest??

I don't know if the ref-linux-2.6.18 is suitable to build - it's
there as a "base" for the modifications for para-virtual Linux that
you need at least for Dom0.

Well, the general way to use HVM is to install from a CDROM/DVD (or
ISO-file image instead of a CD/DVD) with a complete distro of Linux
(RedHat, SuSE, Debian, etc).

Where do you get the rest of your Linux distro from? Doesn't that
come with a kernel that you can use? That would be my suggestion.

--
Mats