Re: [Xen-devel] dom0 scheduling

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] dom0 scheduling
From: Mats Petersson <mats@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:21:05 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 05:03:59 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Resend answer to xen-devel. [Need to learn to do "reply-all" in this mail-client!]

At 19:30 10/07/2007, you wrote:

Where can I specify dom0 weight and cap?

How is this question (supposed to be) different from the question and answer here?
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-07/msg00196.html

Are you asking how you make that sort of change permanent?

I don't think there's any settings in the config-xen.sxp file, so you'll have to come up with some sort of script that runs at boot-time, doing "xm sched-credit 0 -w=<weight> -c=<cap>". Note that you of course have to do this AFTER you've started xend - if you already have a script to start xend, you could add the modification of the Dom0 weight/cap to this script, of course.

I think the expectation is that you use one (or both) of the following methods to keep Dom0 doing the right thing:
1. Give Dom0 it's own CPU(core)
2. Adjust weight and cap of the DomU(s).

Dom0 isn't really meant to be used for much other than servicing the DomU's. Changing the weight&cap of the DomU in the "opposite" direction of the Dom0 should have a very similar (if not exactly the same) effect. [I'm by no means saying that changing Dom0 weight/cap can't be meaningful, it's just that I don't believe it to be a commonly needed functionality].

[Sorry, I can't check things in Xen, as I don't have a machine with Xen at the moment].

--
Mats