Re: [Xen-devel] tap interfce in xen

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] tap interfce in xen
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:37:04 +0100
Cc: rajneesh rana <rajneeshrana009@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:35:07 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> frnds,  i am confuse regarding the role of tap interface and its handling
> within Xen from developer perspective. Can anyboyd useful insights or
> usefuill links about it.

I'm not sure which interface you mean, so I'll cover both possibilities:

There's the Linux tun / tap network interface.  This allows a userspace
process to create a virtual network device.  This is used by the Qemu-based
device model in order to supply emulated network services for HVM virtual
machines.

There's also the blktap interface.  This is used to provide some forms of
virtual disk storage for domains: currently supported are file-based storage
and the QCow copy-on-write format.  This should work for HVM or paravirt
domains (although I've heard conflicting reports about how well it works for
HVM at the moment).  Blktap is implemented by allowing a userspace process to
satisfy the virtual IO requests from the guests; the userspace blocktap
process is then able to issue the appropriate IOs on the guest's behalf.

There's also a device mapper plugin called dm-userspace that offers some
similar functionality to blktap.  I'm not sure what the status of this is
right now, though.

Hope that helps you some,
Cheers,
Mark