Re: [Xen-devel] Credit scheduler

To: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Credit scheduler
From: pak333@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 01:55:31 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:53:28 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes all these are HVM guests.
Yes there is dom0 and 4 other VMs.

I added some trace statements in the schedule.c function and then postprocessed
that data to come with the 3us

example I have 16400 lines printed with xentrace during a span of 52 ms. Which
means that i have entered the scheduler 16400 times during the 52ms time
interval, which is roughly 3.2 us.

i have not yet tried any other combination.

my understanding of the schduler is that the scheduler kicks in on a timer
interrupt or a block of any VM.
so in a all cpu intensive VMs the VM would run interrupted for 30ms(credit
schduler cap).
since we have IO, whenever a VM needs IO service, it blocks and domain 0 kicks
in and services the IO.
is this correct?

What I also see is that dom0 cpu utilization is only 28% across all 4 cpus.
Assuming that the scheduler was entered because of an IO request, dom0 kicks in
but spends very little time servicing the request. Dom0 kicks in 6800 times of
the  16400 times that the scheduler function was called. Does this make sense?

Thanks
-Prabha

From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>