Re: [Xen-devel] troubles using network boot with HVM guest

To: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] troubles using network boot with HVM guest
From: Guillaume Rousse <Guillaume.Rousse@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:34:11 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 07:32:24 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tim Deegan a écrit :
> At 14:58 +0200 on 04 Jun (1180969137), Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>> As a potential issue, dhcp reply comes from another network, through a
>> proxy. I once had troubles with windows client ignoring those answers if
>> their origin was not strictly set to the local network broadcast adress.
>
> From a quick rummage around in the packet trace, it looks like the DHCP
> siaddr ("next server to contact") field in the reply packet is set to
> zero, and etherboot explicitly discards dhcp replies where that field is
> zero.  (Disclaimer: this is based on about ten minutes of poking at the
> etherboot source and RFC2131 -- I am by no means a DCHP expert).
>
> Can you check the DHCP server settings, and whether your proxy is doing
> something wierd to the packet?
I did check with a real host, it worked perfectly. But you find the
issue: the server was only answering PXE requests, whereas the emulated
network card send an etherboot one.Just adding etherboot configuration
on the server was enough to provide a functional answer.

I was able to make the virtual domain download a grub stage2 built for
rtl839. As I was not able to rebuild grub myself (compilation errors), I
used this one
http://cvs.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gi/tools/i386/netboot/rtl8139/?pathrev=MDK-2006_0-update

Once loaded, the virtual host send a new DHCP request, and then ignore
the answer once again, despite the fact than the next-server field is
correct. According to my knowledge, it should finish the DHCP
transaction, then requires /boot/grub/menu.list from the tftp server.

I'm joining the new traffic capture again. Any hint welcome, I'm a bit
lost in netboot subtilities :)
--
Guillaume Rousse
Moyens Informatiques - INRIA Futurs