Re: [Xen-devel] [PV] PCI passthrough and interrupt sharing

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 10:26 -0400, Chris wrote:
> Thomas Friebel wrote:
> > IMO I did't do anything special in this setup. I can send you the kernel
> > configs and a more detailed description of the setup if you like.
>
> Sure, send me what you can (b/c of size, perhaps kernel config shouldn't
> be CC'ed to the list, but directly to me is OK).  I'm also curious what
> hardware you're using, especially the NICs.  Seems like finding a common
> theme is a good place to start looking for the cause.

I use an ASUS M2NPV-VM board with an onboard nVidia nforce 430 NIC, and
an additional RTL 8169 PCI NIC by Netgear:

00:14.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet
Controller (rev a3) (vendor/device = 0x10de/0x0268)

04:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10) (vendor/device = 0x10ec/0x8169)

The same problems showed up when using a 3Com Fast EtherLink XL PCI NIC
in combination with the same board.

> Any details you can provide about how the devices get on the same IRQ
> would be useful for recreating your environment.  Do you do anything to
> explicitly force the NICs to share an IRQ or does PnP just cause this
> condition automatically?

I don't know if it's possible to explicitly force the NICs to share IRQ.
What I do is disabling ACPI in dom0 (acpi=off kernel parameter) and
activating each onboard device in the BIOS setup. The other BIOS
settings like "PnP aware OS" don't matter.

Cheers,

--
Thomas Friebel
Operating System Research Center