Re: [Xen-devel] xm shutdown timeout

To: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xm shutdown timeout
From: John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 14:45:55 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 May 2007 06:39:06 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 09:41:56AM +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:

> > But this still isn't right. Normally I want the domain destroyed when I
> > do a shutdown (it is, after all, a shutdown). However, if the domain
> > /does not shutdown cleanly/, there are a number of things I might want:
>
> Perhaps pushing into state 'crashed' is the right thing to do, and treat
> that state as a catch-all for exceptional termination conditions?

I considered that. Whilst it's an improvement on what happens now, it
still seems like the wrong thing to me: typically a crash will dump core
and destroy, meaning I can't then log in and look around (or debug it
live from the dom0). I imagine I could set 'preserve', but then I have
to preserve real crashes too, which is not likely to be what I want.
Since we can't have a new state, it seems like leaving it would be best.
Perhaps renaming it to indicate it won't respond to a shutdown request?

regards
john