Re: [Xen-devel] Setting up page directories and tables

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Setting up page directories and tables
From: "Dave Pacheco" <dap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:56:12 -0400
Cc: Joel Weinberger <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:54:44 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 4/27/07, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 27/4/07 21:11, "Dave Pacheco" < dap@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

All of these steps succeed (the hypercall returns 0, and the argument indicating how many updates succeeded is 1 in both cases). But later, when switching into the context of this process, I try to update the user base pointer with

 HYPERVISOR_mmuext_op({MMUEXT_NEW_USER_BASEPTR, mfn of P}...).

Only x86/64 has a separate USER_BASEPTR. You want to use just MMUEXT_NEW_BASEPTR.

When I use that, the domain immediately crashes. I would have expected a page fault, since the page tables aren't actually set up yet, but I don't even get that. (It's possible that it faulted again trying to load the fault handler.)

/var/log/xen/xend.log doesn't say much useful, other than that the domain crashed. Is there a way to tell why a domain crashed (i.e. executing an illegal instruction, or triple fault, or something like that)?

Thanks,
Dave