Re: [Xen-devel] VMASST_TYPE_writable_pagetables on translated domains?

To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] VMASST_TYPE_writable_pagetables on translated domains?
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:36:33 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 01:35:24 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 27/4/07 09:30, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Isn't the writeable page table support intended only for non-translated
> domains?
> If so, shouldn't fixup_page_fault() check for this, or the setting of the
> assist bit
> and the PG_translate be respectively validated? If not, aren't there bits
> missing
> in ptwr_do_page_fault()?

I think we've been here before. :-)

Current shadow code supports translated domains only in shadow-mode-refcount
configuration (which also implies shadow-mode-external, and hence hvm too,
as it happens).

In light of this there is quite some scope for simplification and
rationalisation in arch/x86/mm.c.

 -- Keir